Hope you aren’t sick of black beans yet. Yesterday for pot luck, I made black beans and polenta. It took longer than I thought it should have to put together, but I think I’m just slow today.
- Make polenta according to package directions (about 1 1/2 cups dry should be about right). Mince one fresh jalepeno pepper and stir in while the polenta is cooking. (Jalepeno is optional if you like things less spicy.)
- Pour polenta into a oiled 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- Chop 1/2 onion and saute in a little olive oil.
- Chop 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper. Add to onions along with two cans drained and rinsed black beans.
- Stir in 1/2 cup salsa.
- Add cumin, chili powder, lime juice, and chopped cilantro to tasted. (Most of the time I make this without cilantro, but happen to have a bunch on hand.) Cook until beans are heated.
- Sprinkle one small can of diced tomatoes over the polenta and spread the beans on top of that.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve with guacamole and seasoned sour cream (add a little chili power and cumin to it).
It was a hit at the pot luck, but there was lots of good food so we came home with enough for dinner tomorrow.